October 26, 2021

What Is The Canadian Experience Class?

Immigrating to Canada can be a confusing process in general, but there is especially a lot of confusion that surrounds the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) regarding immigration, so we want to clear it up for you.

The Canadian Experience Class program is another program under the Express Entry system that many are eligible for without even realizing it. The name kind of explains the Canadian Experience Class requirements itself; it’s designed for skilled workers who have one year of work experience in Canada, but that one year should have taken place within the last three years before you apply.

Minimum Job Requirements For The Canadian Experience Class – Express Entry Program

Before filling out a permanent residence application, you’ll have to prove that you have at least one year of skilled work experience within the last three years under a temporary resident status. This can be broken down in a few different ways as laid out by the Government of Canada:

  • You’ve worked one full-time job that totals 30 hours per week for 12 months.
  • You’ve worked more than one full-time job that has totalled 30 hours per week for 12 months.
  • You’ve worked two part-time jobs that still total 30 hours. That time doesn’t have to be split up evenly (15 hours per job). You can actually have as many part-time jobs as you want, but your total hours must still be 30 for 12 months.


Any hours you work beyond 30 hours per week are not counted. Unpaid internships, volunteer work, or self-employment will also not count as Canadian work experience. You must have paid wages or earned commissions.

Jobs That Qualify

The Government of Canada will use the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system to classify “skilled” jobs into main groups: type 0, A or B. You’ll need these types of Canadian work experience in order to be eligible to become a permanent resident through an Express Entry program. If your job type falls under skill level C or D, you may still be eligible to come to Canada as a provincial nominee.

Type 0

  • Management jobs (i.e. customer service manager, restaurant manager, construction manager, health care manager, manufacturing manager, etc.)

Type A

  • Professional jobs that require a university degree (i.e. doctor, dentist, pharmacist, vet, financial consultant/advisor, marketer, etc.)

Type B

  • Technical jobs that usually require a college diploma (i.e., dental hygienist, practical nurse, technician, plumber, vet tech, supervisor, inspector, etc.)
  • Minimum requirements for the Canadian Experience Class include working at a type 0, A or B job for at least a year.

Minimum Language Ability For The Canadian Experience Class – Express Entry Program

As well as working in skilled trades, there are other eligibility criteria you must meet, one of which will be your language skills. This is determined through language tests for either English or French for listening, speaking, reading and writing. The results will be categorized appropriately via the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLBs). In order to continue with your Canadian permanent residence application, you’ll need to reach a minimum of CLB 7 in English (or NCLB 7 in French). Your results shouldn’t be more than two years old but remember that your Express Entry profile is only valid for one year (12 months).

Is There An Education Requirement For The Canadian Experience Class?

CEC doesn’t actually have any education requirements, however, you can boost yourself in the Express Entry pool by receiving a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary or post-secondary school. If you’ve received a foreign education, you can request an educational credential assessment (ECA) to verify your credentials which you’ll also need to provide during the application process.

Other Express Entry Programs

The Canadian Experience Class was created for skilled temporary foreign workers and international students who can use their skilled work experience and education to apply for permanent resident status. But if you don’t fall under this category and want to apply through the Express Entry program, that’s okay. There are two other programs you may be eligible through:

Federal Skilled Worker Program

This program is designed for skilled workers but with foreign experience who want to apply for permanent residence here in Canada. There are various factors that will affect your application such as age, education, work experience, language skills, if you have a job offer, and how likely you are to settle into Canada. You are given points for how well you do with each factor. In order to pass, you must have a minimum of 67 points. Ultimately, the higher the points you’ve earned, the better chance you have at receiving an invitation to apply (ITA) which you can then apply for permanent residence.

Federal Skilled Trade Program

This program is designed for people who hold skilled trades and want to become permanent residents. Because it’s difficult to obtain a provincial certification outside of Canada, this program is offered to those who have an approved job offer, or who are already working with a Canadian work permit in a skilled trade occupation. If you’ve obtained an approved job offer for one year or more from a Canadian employer, you are also eligible to apply. You must also meet the minimum CLB requirements, have at least two years of full-time skilled work experience within the last five years of submitting your application, and have a valid job offer.

Do You Need Work Reference Letters?

If you receive an ITA to apply for Express Entry into Canada, yes, you will need to have work reference letters along with your application. You can actually submit multiple from previous employers and your current one. It’s recommended that employers print any letters on official company letterhead with contact information included. An immigration officer will also need to know of all of your previous workplaces, job titles/roles, salaries, your duties, the dates you held the positions, etc.

Minimum requirements for the Canadian Experience Class include working at a type 0, A or B job for at least a year.

Canadian Immigration Processes Can Be Confusing

Applying through any immigration program can be downright confusing. That’s why Oro Immigration is here: to simplify the process for you, answer any of your questions regarding immigration matters, and help you reach your immigration goals. We’ll help you obtain all of the information that you need for a successful application, especially when it comes to the online application system for Express Entry into Canada. You can count on us to get you to where you want to be. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you as soon as possible.

Leave a Reply