Spousal Sponsorship Canada

Canada Spousal Sponsorship

Spousal sponsorship is a Canadian immigration plan designed to keep family members and loved ones together. Spousal sponsorship Canada is when a Canadian or permanent resident sponsors their partner in hopes that they can stay in Canada. Spousal Sponsorship is not the only sponsorship process in Canada. You can sponsor your dependent childrens, parents and other relatives if they meet the requirements.

The Roles of the Sponsor

Spousal sponsorship is a great way to support your loved one’s immigration process to Canada. There are several requirements an individual needs to meet in order to be eligible to sponsor their dependent spouse or partner and their dependent children. Please review these requirements below to determine whether you may be eligible for a sponsorship application.

Under this program the sponsor:

  • Must be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident
  • Must be 18 years of age or older
  • Must be Self-sufficient (not be receiving social assistance)
  • Must be able to support the applicant
  • Cannot be in prison
  • Cannot be bankrupt
  • Cannot be in default of a previous undertaking to sponsor
  • Cannot have removal order
  • Cannot be charged with a serious criminal offence
  • Must be living in Canada, if they are not residing in the country when submitting their application, they must demonstrate that their intentions are to reside in Canada with the applicant.

The Sponsor's Responsibilities

There are fees and responsibilities involved in family sponsorships. We recommend that you consider the responsibilities and determine whether you can uphold them if you want to sponsor your spouse, dependent children, parents or any other relative.

A sponsor must:

  • Provide financial support for their partner and their dependent children’s basic needs including food, clothing, shelter, dental care, eye care, and other health needs not covered by public health services
  • Pay the sponsorship fee while submitting their documents
  • Pay the right of permanent residence fee (RPRF) for your spouse/partner
couple signing a contract in front of their consultant

Sponsored Spouse or Common-Law Partner Requirements

In Canada, you may sponsor an individual and their visa application process if they are your partner or spouse. However, the Government of Canada has put limitations on who is eligible for the spousal sponsorship program. A conjugal partner or child must be sponsored under the Family Class whereas a spouse or common-law partner can be sponsored under the Family Class or the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada Class.

Before you begin your application to sponsor your spouse, see the following chart to determine your relationship with that individual.

Smiling internation student in winter hat and jacket holding Canadian flag
  • Spouse: Legally married in Canada or any other country
  • Common-Law Partner: Cohabitating for at least one year
  • Conjugal Partner/Relationship: Committed relationship for at least one year and the couple is unable to reside together due to circumstances out of their control such as immigration barriers, religious reasons, sexual orientation

An application will not be processed if your relationship falls under one of these categories:

  • The spouse or partner is under 18 years of age
  • The sponsor or the spouse was, at the time of their marriage, married to another person
  • The sponsor has lived apart from the individual(s) applying to live in Canada at least one year and
  • The sponsor is a partner of another person or has a conjugal relationship
  • The foreign national has another common-law, spousal or conjugal relationship with another individual besides their sponsor

We Can Help

Oro Immigration Services can help with your spousal sponsorship application. Don’t leave it up to chance – Our Immigration Consultants can help your loved one’s immigration application be a success.

Frequently Asked Questions

The processing times of sponsorship applications can vary greatly depending on your case, but most individuals can expect the process to take at least one year. This is not including the time required to fill out the documents that you need to submit. The prolonged processing times are related to the documents that need to be reviewed, and the detailed information that needs to be confirmed from both Canadian parties and those outside of Canada. This can cause many applications to remain in the pending status for many months or your application can be returned as incomplete.

Unlike other programs, spousal sponsorships do not have a minimum income requirement, unless the person you are sponsoring has a dependent child.

When you sponsor your spouse, partner, and their dependent, you sign and submit an undertaking. This is a legally binding document that holds the principal applicant responsible for the financial support of their sponsors. The time of the undertaking differs for each individual when they come to Canada. View the table below to determine the length of your undertaking.

  • Spouse, common-law, or conjugal partner: 3 years from the day they receive permanent resident status
  • A child/dependent over 22 years of age: 3 years from the day they receive permanent residence status
  • A child/dependent under 22 years of age: 10 years from the day they become a permanent residence status or until they turn 22 years of age, whichever comes first

Your undertaking will not be cancelled if:

  • You divorce/separate
  • You have financial problems
  • You move to a different country or province
  • Your sponsee becomes a Canadian citizen

We recommend that your spouse/partner does not leave the country while their application is processed. There is no guarantee that they will be allowed to re-enter the country, especially if they need a visitor visa. Please wait to leave Canada after the application has finished processing.