Parents and Grandparents

You can sponsor your parents and grandparents to become permanent residents of Canada. If you do, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • live in Canada
  • be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
  • have enough money to support the persons you want to sponsor. You’ll have to provide your proof of income.
  • support them and their dependents financially
  • make sure they do not need social assistance from the government

Usually this program starts with a submission of the interest to sponsor. The process and requirements to send this expression of interest changes every year according to the rules of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.