Canada Experience Class

Canada Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class Program Can Help You Become A Permanent Resident

Designed For Individuals In Managerial Jobs, Professions, Technical Jobs or A Skilled Trade

The Canadian Experience Class is one of the three immigration programs through the Express Entry system. Individuals who have at least a year of work experience in Canada in the last three years are encouraged to complete their Express Entry profile so they can be entered into an Express Entry draw and be issued an Invitation To Apply (ITA).

Federal Skilled Worker Program

Test 2

Federal Skilled Trades Program

Test 2

Canadian Experience Class

Test 2

How The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) Works

Just like with the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you must meet the minimum education and language requirements. The Comprehensive Ranking Score system will assign points to each category and having Canadian work experience will increase your points even further, but it must be a valid job offer as well as paid work, not unpaid internships or volunteer work. You will not get points if you work in Canada without authorization or if you are a refugee claimant. You’ll be given points based on the following eligibility criteria:

Language Ability

You must meet a minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level of 7 for a National Occupational Classification (NOC) O or A job.

Or …

Meet a minimum CLB level 5 for NOC B. The language test will test your reading, writing, listening and speaking skills which will be valid for two years to include on your Express Entry profile.


You’ll also receive a certain amount of points depending on your age. The younger you are (except for being under 18), the higher the points you’ll receive. For example:

  • 18-35=12 points
  • 36=11 points
  • 37=10 points
  • 40=7 points
  • 45=2 points
  • 47+=0 points


There are no minimum education requirements for the Canadian Experience Class, however, the higher the education you have, the more points you’ll receive and, therefore, improve your ranking in the Express Entry pool for an ITA.

You’ll get extra points if you have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary institution (high school) or a post-secondary institution.

Or …

If you have a foreign education from a recognized educational institution and received a certificate, diploma or degree that is of equal value to those in Canada. You’ll need an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) to go with your application to prove you’ve completed the above education requirement.

Work Experience

It’s important to remember that, as mentioned above, you will not be eligible CEC candidates if you are:

  • Working without authorization in Canada
  • A refugee claimant
  • Your work experience was gained in Canada without a temporary resident status

Your skilled work experience must also be salary-based, paid wages, or paid commission and be considered full-time. However, even if you work more than 30 hours per week, you will not get extra points. You’ll just receive points on working 1,560 hours whether that’s will one full-time job, two part-time jobs, or multiple jobs.

Skilled workers should be part of a:

Managerial Job (Skill Type 0)

For example:

  • Restaurant manager
  • Communications manager
  • Retail or wholesale manager
  • Corporate sales manager
  • Construction manager
  • Transportation manager

Professional Jobs (Skill Type A)

For example:

  • Dentist
  • Veterinarian
  • Doctor
  • Architect
  • A financial advisor or broker
  • Biologist

Technical or Skilled Trades (Skill Type B)

For example:

  • Executive assistant
  • An accountant or bookkeeper
  • A valuator or appraiser
  • Civil engineer
  • Message therapist
  • Dental hygienist

Ready To Apply For Permanent Residence?

After CEC applicants are put into the Express Entry pool and they’re given a ranking score that makes them a top contender, you’ll receive an ITA where you can apply for permanent residence and make it one step closer to achieving your immigration goals. Following receiving an ITA, you have 60 days to prepare and submit your Application for Permanent Residence in Canada. This can, oftentimes, be confusing. Even completing your Express Entry profile can be confusing. But it doesn’t have to be with Oro Immigration by your side. We help people from all over the world become permanent residents in Canada and you can be next.

A man watching his laptop while holding his passport

Do You Qualify For The Canadian Experience Class Immigration Program?

Do you think you meet the minimum requirements for the Canadian Experience Class? If you’ve scored CLB 7 or CLB 5 on your language tests, have either one of skill type 0, A, or B jobs that you are paid for and work full-time hours, then you can qualify to apply for Canadian permanent residence. While putting your application into the Express Entry pool doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll receive an ITA, we’ll do everything we can to help you fill out your application and ensure you have all of the necessary information needed to make your application stand out.

Frequently Asked Questions

The program is for workers who have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to one specific province’s economy. Candidates should want to live in that province, as well as become Canadian permanent residents. Individual provinces will have their own streams and requirements, giving preference to students, business people, skilled workers or semi-skilled workers.

No, the intention of express entry is to grant skilled immigrants with permanent residency in Canada. You will enjoy many of the same benefits as citizens, such as health care and the ability to work and live in any province of the country, but you don’t have the right to vote or run for office. Citizenship can be obtained after residents have been in Canada for a period of five years.

With Express Entry, Canada seeks to invite qualified, skilled immigrants who want to become permanent residents. This is a way to fill employment sectors where no Canadian workers are available. However, this doesn’t apply to every person and is just one way to obtain permanent residency. Many individuals who come here as students or temporary workers are able to stay after going through a formal application process.

No, you do not require a visa to apply for this program. The government will choose an eligible worker based on job offers, language abilities and educational background.

Once you receive permanent status in Canada, you are able to work and live anywhere in Canada – this includes Ontario and Quebec. Certain programs do however provide limitations on working in Quebec, but please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.