Federal Skilled Worker

Federal Skilled Worker Program Canada

If You Have A Professional Occupation, You May Be Able To Permanently Move To Canada Through The Federal Skilled Worker Program

No Matter Where You're From, Our Canadian Immigration Professionals Can Help You Reach Your Immigration Goals

The Federal Skilled Worker Program is one of the three programs through Express Entry that can allow you to move to Canada permanently, however, there are minimum requirements that will need to be met.

How The Federal Skilled Worker Program Works

This program is designed for professionals with high English or French levels and has work experience in managerial possessions or professional occupations. The Express Entry System handles this program and allocates points to different categories. You must meet certain requirements and obtain 67 points (out of 100 points) to be eligible to apply. If you do not know what this means, contact our professionals to help you analyze your situation.

Federal Skilled Worker Program

Test 2

Federal Skilled Trades Program

Test 2

Canadian Experience Class

Test 2

Are You Eligible?

Throughout the year, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada hold Express Entry draws, which set a minimum ranking score. They issue Invitations to Apply (ITA) to candidates who have the highest-ranking profiles. Ultimately, the higher the score, the higher your chances are of receiving an ITA for permanent residence. Here are a few ways to determine if you’re eligible as a federal skilled worker:

Skilled Work Experience

There are certain National Occupational Classification (NOC) job groups that federal skilled workers must fall under, each with their own skill type and skill level.

Skill Type 0

Management jobs such as:

  • Restaurant manager
  • Communications manager
  • Retail or wholesale manager
  • Corporate sales manager
  • Construction manager
  • Transportation manager
  • And more

Skill Level A

Professions that call for a university degree such as:

  • Dentist
  • Veterinarian
  • Doctor
  • Architect
  • A financial advisor or broker
  • Biologist
  • And more

Skill Level B

Technical jobs that call for a college diploma such as:

  • Executive assistant
  • An accountant or bookkeeper
  • A valuator or appraiser
  • Civil engineer
  • Massage therapist
  • Dental hygienist
  • And more

No matter your skilled occupation, you must lay out all of your duties and it must be paid work, not part of unpaid internships or volunteer work. You must also prove that you’ve had one year of continuous work with 30 hours per week that have been accumulated at one full-time job, or an equal amount of work in two jobs or more. Even if you work more than 30 hours per week, that will not count towards your application.


If you have a foreign education, you must have:

  • A diploma, degree, or trade or apprenticeship from a recognized educational or training institution
  • An Educational Credential Assessment, which is used to verify your foreign degree from a designated organization showing that your education is equal to a completed certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian high school or post-secondary institution

If you went to school in Canada, you must have a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian:

  • Secondary institution (high school)
  • Post-secondary institution

Language Ability

You will be required to complete an approved English or French language test. Just remember that your test results are valid for two years, but your Express Entry profile is valid for only 12 months.

The language test will test your speaking, writing, reading and listening skills and you must meet the minimum score result of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 for English, or NCLC 7 for French in all four abilities.


When your Canadian permanent residence application is received, you will get a certain amount of points based on your age. Ultimately, the younger you are, the more points you’ll receive except if you are under the age of 18. For example:

  • 18-35=12 points
  • 36=11 points
  • 37=10 points
  • 40=7 points
  • 45=2 points
  • 47+=0 points

Do You Meet All The Minimum Requirements?

If you want to become a permanent resident, you first need to complete your Express Entry profile. This is when it will be sent to the Government of Canada and put into a pool with other candidates where you’ll then be sent an ITA, as mentioned above.

But like all things Immigration-related, filling out your Express Entry profile and understanding what an ITA is and how it works can be confusing. That’s where Oro Immigration can come in. Not only can we help you determine your eligibility for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, but we can also help you fill out your profile correctly and be with you every step of the way of becoming a Canadian citizen. We’ll go over the minimum requirements with you and if you meet them when you contact us today.

Smiling internation student in winter hat and jacket holding Canadian flag

Other Express Entry Immigration Programs

The Federal Skilled Worker Program was designed for those with skilled work experience and who’ve had a valid job offer presented to them in Canada, but if you don’t fall under that category there are still other programs available through Express Entry.

Canadian Experience Class

This immigration program is designed for those who have at least one year of work experience in Canada in the last three years. Like with the Federal Skilled Worker Program, skilled workers are considered those with a managerial job, profession, technical job or part of skilled trade and will be scored through a comprehensive ranking score system. Once again, Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship will invite you to apply for permanent residence through an ITA.

Federal Skilled Trade

This is strictly for people wanting to immigrate to Canada through skilled trades. There are minimum requirements for English and French skills, a valid full-time job offer from a business in Canada, and you must have at least two years of working experience within the last five years of submitting your application.

Ready To Apply For Permanent Residence In Canada?

Skilled workers with professional jobs who want to permanently immigrate to Canada should have the help they need to succeed. Your work experience, education level and language skills are very important selection factors that can, oftentimes, be hard to understand when it comes to eligibility. That’s why our immigration experts want to help you. Contact us today to learn more about our services. We look forward to helping you reach your immigration goals.

Frequently Asked Questions

The program is for workers who have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to one specific province’s economy. Candidates should want to live in that province, as well as become Canadian permanent residents. Individual provinces will have their own streams and requirements, giving preference to students, business people, skilled workers or semi-skilled workers.

No, the intention of express entry is to grant skilled immigrants with permanent residency in Canada. You will enjoy many of the same benefits as citizens, such as health care and the ability to work and live in any province of the country, but you don’t have the right to vote or run for office. Citizenship can be obtained after residents have been in Canada for a period of five years.

With Express Entry, Canada seeks to invite qualified, skilled immigrants who want to become permanent residents. This is a way to fill employment sectors where no Canadian workers are available. However, this doesn’t apply to every person and is just one way to obtain permanent residency. Many individuals who come here as students or temporary workers are able to stay after going through a formal application process.

No, you do not require a visa to apply for this program. The government will choose an eligible worker based on job offers, language abilities and educational background.

Once you receive permanent status in Canada, you are able to work and live anywhere in Canada – this includes Ontario and Quebec. Certain programs do however provide limitations on working in Quebec, but please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.