Electronic Travel Authorization Canada

Electronic Travel Authorization Canada

Do You Need An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?

While an eTA doesn’t necessarily guarantee your entry to Canada, it is a requirement for foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries arriving by flight. Therefore, if you answer “yes” to both questions below, you need to apply for an eTA:

  1. Are you from a visa-exempt country?
  2. Are you traveling to Canada or through Canada by air?

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement and is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. So, if you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

How Entering Canada Works With An eTA

At the airport, an immigration officer will ask to see your passport and other documents and you must convince the officer that you are eligible for entry into Canada. If you are a foreign national arriving by bus, train, car or boat, you will not need an eTA.

Federal Skilled Worker Program

Test 2

Federal Skilled Trades Program

Test 2

Canadian Experience Class

Test 2

Visa-Exempt Foreign Nationals Will Need To Apply Online

Not sure if you’re from a visa-exempt country? Before you board your flight to Canada, you will need to have your eTA. Here is a list of some visa-exempt countries:

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Chile
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Japan
  • Mexico
  • New Zealand
  • Poland
  • Spain
  • Switzerland

You can find the complete list on the Government of Canada website.

If you are from a visa-required country listed below, you’ll need it regardless of how to travel to Canada (car, plane, train, bus, ship):

  • Afghanistan
  • Argentina
  • Bangladesh
  • Botswana
  • Cambodia
  • China
  • Costa Rica
  • Ecuador
  • India
  • Iraq
  • Jamaica
  • Colombia
  • Pakistan
  • Turkey
Smiling internation student in winter hat and jacket holding Canadian flag

The eTA Application Process Is Simple

Obtaining an eTA is actually quite easy! You’ll apply on the Government of Canada website and it should only take a few minutes to complete. Afterwhich, your eTA will be emailed to you shortly after, however, don’t wait until the last minute to apply, especially if you’re submitting supporting documents. In this case, it may take several days to receive your eTA.

To complete the application, you’ll need your passport (make sure you put in the correct number), an email address, and a debit or credit card. And don’t fret – the application fee is not expensive. It will set you back $7.

Do International Students Need an eTA?

Foreign nationals with status as workers and students, if they need to travel and enter Canada again, yes, along with your work or study permit, you will also need to fill out an online application for an eTA or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) depending on your country of citizenship before entering Canada. If you need help determining which one you need to apply for, this is exactly where our Oro Immigration team can come in. We’re an immigration office based in Toronto, Ontario that helps immigrants from all over the world reach their goals. Whether you’re a student, visitor or worker, we’re here for you.

Other Services

As well as assisting travelers with understanding the eTA process, we also offer a wide range of immigration services including assistance with your Express Entry profile, applying for permanent residency, studying in Canada, working in Canada, and more. Our main goal as immigration consultants is to ease our clients’ minds by helping them organize, understand and submit their paperwork or online applications in an efficient and friendly manner.

Contact Our Immigration Consultants In Toronto Today

Contact us for any of your immigration needs and to verify if you need an eTA or a visitor visa to enter Canada. Foreign international students, workers and travelers don’t need to feel confused with. We provide stress-free services and treat everyone with respect.

Immigration documents folded in Canadian passport under glasses

Frequently Asked Questions

The program is for workers who have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to one specific province’s economy. Candidates should want to live in that province, as well as become Canadian permanent residents. Individual provinces will have their own streams and requirements, giving preference to students, business people, skilled workers or semi-skilled workers.

No, the intention of express entry is to grant skilled immigrants with permanent residency in Canada. You will enjoy many of the same benefits as citizens, such as health care and the ability to work and live in any province of the country, but you don’t have the right to vote or run for office. Citizenship can be obtained after residents have been in Canada for a period of five years.

With Express Entry, Canada seeks to invite qualified, skilled immigrants who want to become permanent residents. This is a way to fill employment sectors where no Canadian workers are available. However, this doesn’t apply to every person and is just one way to obtain permanent residency. Many individuals who come here as students or temporary workers are able to stay after going through a formal application process.

No, you do not require a visa to apply for this program. The government will choose an eligible worker based on job offers, language abilities and educational background.

Once you receive permanent status in Canada, you are able to work and live anywhere in Canada – this includes Ontario and Quebec. Certain programs do however provide limitations on working in Quebec, but please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.