Permanent Resident Travel Document

Permanent Resident Travel Document

If you are a permanent resident and your Permanent Resident Card has expired while you are abroad (not in Canada), you must apply for a PRTD to return to Canada.

To apply for a PRTD, you must demonstrate that you meet the residency obligation of a permanent resident. You must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the past five years before submitting your application. Please note that the 730 days can be distributed throughout the five years; the 730 days do not need to be continuous.

Permanent Resident Status Residency Obligation

All PR cards are granted by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), are the property of the Canadian Crown, and must be returned upon request. This is similar to how Canadian passports are.

Prior to boarding a flight to Canada, all foreign national passengers must have a Canadian visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) (with the exception of Canadian citizens and permanent residents, U.S. citizens, nationals, and lawful permanent residents). Therefore, in order to travel to Canada by plane, permanent residents need either a PR card or PR travel documents.

Applicants will need to have resided in Canada for 730 days out of the last five years in order to fulfill the residency obligation. For the calculation of the permanent residency status obligation, please note that:

  • If you were not in Canada but were accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada who was your parent, spouse, or common-law partner;
  • If you were working for a Canadian business;
  • If you were accompanying a permanent resident outside Canada;

You may use these days towards the residency obligation calculation.

In addition to that, you must establish your identity and prove your permanent resident status. It is important that you have copies of all necessary identification documents before attempting to apply for a PR card, as incomplete or missing information may result in the rejection of your application form and the loss of relevant fees.

How To Get A Travel Document

Prepare your application package

You must submit a completed application package, including all needed forms and supporting papers applicable to your nation or territory, in order to apply for a PRTD. The instruction manual and all the necessary forms are included in the application package.

Use the instructions to correctly complete the forms, pay the costs, and submit your application. The application will be sent back to you if it is lacking any information or is incomplete.

You must demonstrate in your application that you meet the criteria to continue to be a permanent resident. Regardless of age, you must submit an application with the appropriate costs for each member of your family who requires travel documents.

This process must be completed outside of Canada.

Pay your application fees

When you apply for a PRTD, you must pay a processing charge and submit your receipt as proof of payment with your paper or online application.

Submit your application and permanent resident card

All supporting identification documents must be submitted through the permanent residence site if you apply online. You will be sending in a copy of your permanent resident card and other documents, rather than the originals. You must adhere to the guidelines provided by your nation or territory on the format and location of paper applications.

Please be advised that an officer will carefully review your application to ensure that it is complete and that you meet all necessary requirements, including the residency obligation. If the officer corroborates that you meet the requirements, they will issue you a PRTD. PRTDs are valid for a single entry to Canada, allowing you to return to Canada and apply for a Permanent Resident Card once you are in Canada.

Let Oro Immigration Help You Apply For A Permanent Resident Travel Document

Our staff of knowledgeable and dependable legal consultants works hard to provide the best services possible. The different professional backgrounds and credentials of our experts have helped us establish ourselves as one of the top immigration firms in Canada.

As a reputable immigration office, Oro Immigration Services works to uphold the best standards for immigration services while keeping prices low. Since this is genuinely our passion, we have been operating and aiding individuals and families in getting their immigration applications granted and resettling in Canada for years.

Please contact us to obtain your PRTD to return to Canada.


What is a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD)?

A PRTD is required for permanent residents whose PR Card has expired while they are outside Canada, to return to the country.

What are the residency obligations to apply for a PRTD?

Applicants must have resided in Canada for at least 730 days during the past five years.

How to apply for a PRTD?

An application package, including all necessary forms and supporting documents, should be completed and submitted.

What is the validity of a PRTD?

A PRTD is valid for a single entry to Canada, allowing the holder to return and apply for a Permanent Resident Card in Canada.