January 24, 2023

Out Of Status Workers

The Canadian government is expanding a program to help employers address labor shortages by creating pathways for out-of-status migrants. In 2019, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) launched a pilot program for 500 out-of-status workers in the construction industry in the Greater Toronto Area. The program is now being extended and doubled in scope to 1,000 out-of-status construction workers in the GTA. The program aims to provide a path to permanent residency for workers and their families, promote stability in the construction industry, and bring more workers out of the underground economy. Eligible individuals have until January 2, 2024, to apply for permanent residence.

The policy is targeted towards individuals who have entered Canada as temporary residents but currently have no status, have lived in Canada for at least 5 years, have the right work experience in the construction industry within the Greater Toronto Area, must have family in Canada who are permanent residents or Canadian citizens, have been referred by the Canadian Labour Congress, and are otherwise admissible to Canada.  Your work experience must follow under the following National Occupational Classification and must be in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA):

  • Major Group 72 – industrial, electrical and construction trades
  • Major Group 73 – maintenance and equipment operation trades
  • NOC 7441 – residential and commercial installers and servicers
  • NOC 7521 – heavy equipment operators (except crane)
  • NOC 7611 – construction trades helpers and labourers

Those with pending refugee claims or failed asylum claimants, are not eligible to apply under this policy. 

Family in Canada can be:

  • Mother
  • Father
  • Brother
  • Sister
  • Grandmother
  • Grandfather
  • Grandchild
  • Aunt
  • Uncle
  • Niece
  • Nephew
  • Cousin
  • Spouse
  • Common-law partner
  • Child

The CLC is responsible for checking if you meet the requirements. To be eligible, you must be referred to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) by the CLC. If the CLC finds that you may be eligible, they print a referral letter and send it to IRCC along with your application.

For more information we recommend you visit the following websites:




Leave a Reply