June 28, 2022

Many people around the world want to immigrate to Canada for some reason or another. There is a booming housing market, a high standard of living, universal healthcare, and a thriving economy. Some people, in particular, want to take advantage of Canada’s thriving economy and begin their business venture here in the Great White North. Thankfully, the Start-Up Visa Program can help.

The Start-Up Visa Program is designed especially for people who want to immigrate to and start a business in Canada. It is a unique way to start your journey to obtaining permanent residence and, eventually, Canadian citizenship. We will explain more about the Start-Up Visa (SUV) application and program below.

A Visa Program For Immigrant Entrepreneurs

The Start-Up Visa Program (SUV) is a business immigration program designed to help immigrant entrepreneurs immigrate to Canada. Foreign entrepreneurs who want to establish a start-up business and immigrate to Canada can use their business idea to support their permanent residence application.

Get Support From A Business Incubator Program

The first step to applying for a Start-Up Visa is to receive support to start a business. Business incubators are organizations designed to help entrepreneurs and companies develop their businesses. They often provide financial, administration, marketing, and legal help.

The support of a business incubator is essential for your application. Oro Immigration Services will assist you in this part of the process.

Immigration consultant explaining documents to young couple in Toronto apartment

What You Will Need For Your Start-Up Visa Application

The Start-Up Visa Program is a great way to secure permanent residence in Canada and establish yourself in the Canadian economy. But, those who want to start a business in Canada must meet several requirements. For example, their business must be considered innovative on industry standards, competitive on the global scale, and prosperous; they will create jobs for Canadians.

Innovative entrepreneurs who want to come to Canada under a Start-Up visa will need to meet specific eligibility requirements, including:

Having A Qualifying Business

The Government of Canada states that a qualifying business will meet the following conditions:

  • When you get a commitment from a designated organization:
    • Every applicant holds 10% or more of the voting rights attached to all shares of the corporation at that time, AND
    • applicants and the designated organization jointly hold more than 50% of the total voting rights attached to all shares of the corporation at that time
  • When you receive permanent residence, you will:
    • Provide active and ongoing management of a company in Canada
    • Be an essential part of the business operations that happen in Canada
    • Incorporate your business in Canada

Having A Letter Of Support From A Designated Entity Or Organization

A commitment certificate and letter from a designated entity that has been approved to invest in or support start-ups. Some designated organizations will have their own requirements to provide you with a letter of support.

Meeting Language Requirements

You need to take a language test from an approved agency and include the results in your application form. You must meet the minimum level of Canadian language benchmark 5 in speaking, reading, listening, and writing in either English or French.

Having Enough Money To Settle

Beyond the venture capital funds needed to start a business, you will also need sufficient funds to immigrate to Canada. The recommended amount for one person is $13,310.

If you bring family members, you will need more money. The sum increases with each additional family member that you bring. 

Providing Other Supporting Documents

An applicant will need several documents to support their application to move to Canada. Most often, an applicant will need to provide police certificates, birth certificates, and proof of medical exams. Other further information may be required to complete your application for permanent residency.

Apply For A Short-Term Work Permit First

The processing time for Canada’s Start-Up Visa Program is approximately 12-16 months. The estimated processing time may seem like a long time to wait, especially since the permanent residence fee for Canada’s Start-Up Visa is $2,140 CAD. Thankfully, applicants can come to Canada and begin working before their visa is approved with a work permit.

A short-term work permit is available for Start-Up Visa applicants. It has much of the same requirements as the SUV program, so you do not have to worry about trying to gather additional documents.

We Help Immigrant Entrepreneurs Come To Canada

An entrepreneur can apply for permanent residence through the Canada Start-Up Visa. Our services include the legal aspects of the application, as well as the business aspects, such as plan, interaction with the incubators and assistance during the whole process.

Understanding the complexities of business immigration by yourself can be difficult. In fact, we often find immigrant entrepreneurs struggling to navigate the process by themselves. At Oro Immigration, we provide professional immigration advice to help make applying for your visa easier. Reach out to us today for more information.

June 10, 2022

Many students look to study abroad every year and Canada is no exception. In fact, Canada welcomed 450,000 international students in 2021 despite COVID-19 throwing the country and its residents for a loop. This high number of students helped keep our economy strong while also helping people stay positive for things to come.

Many international graduates end up wanting to stay in Canada permanently, and who can blame them? We have amazing job opportunities here, a booming housing market across the country, and culturally diverse cities that are pleased to welcome these graduates as full-time workers. Therefore, if you’re a student looking to immigrate to Canada permanently, there are a few options available to you that we’ll get into more below.

There Are Several Categories You May Fall Under

Did you know that you can apply for permanent residence after completing your studies? While there are certain eligibility requirements you must meet under the program in which you choose to apply, there are many ways your goal of becoming a permanent resident can be achieved.

Apply For A Work Permit First

After you graduate, you’ll need to apply for a work permit. This does not grant you Canadian citizenship but it is necessary in order to live and work temporarily in Canada. The work experience that you gain can also help you qualify for permanent residency.To ensure that you receive a work permit after completing your studies you must study at a public college. Although private colleges can be much cheaper, they will not grant a work permit after the completion of your program and you will not be able to obtain Canadian work experience.

The type of permit you apply for will depend on your circumstance which you can check on the Government of Canada’s Website:

  • Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)
  • Open Work Permit
  • Employer-Specific Work Permit

Complete Your Express Entry Profile

There are three immigration programs under the Express Entry Program that allows workers and international students to achieve their Canadian immigration goals. Each program has its own eligibility requirements, but the more you complete your profile, the higher your chance is of receiving an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residency when an Express Entry pool is held once a year.

Federal Skilled Trade Program

Skilled trades are crucial to the Canadian economy, therefore, this program was designed as a way to help international students and workers alike become permanent residents. While each of Canada’s provinces will decide which professions will be regulated, you’ll still be expected to:

  • Reach the minimum Canadian language benchmark (CLB) requirements – 5 for speaking English or French and 4 for reading and writing in the English or French language
  • Have worked full-time for 2 years in a skilled trade within 5 years of applying
  • Have a valid job offer of full-time employment by a Canadian employer
    • Note that volunteer work or internships do not count – it must be full-time paid work

Various skilled trades are separated into different job groups by the National Occupational Classification (NOC). Each group does not actually require post-secondary education, however, prospective immigrants will find it much more helpful to have a Canadian diploma or degree on their Express Entry profile to receive extra points.

Federal Skilled Worker Program

You will be eligible to apply for this Canadian immigration program if you have 67/100 points and have work experience in a managerial role or professional occupation. When Express Entry draws are held, they’ll send out ITAs to top-ranked candidates. Your work experience will be separated into different skill level types, for example, skill level A jobs are professional jobs that will require a university degree:

  • Dentist
  • Doctor
  • Veterinarian
  • Etc.

University skill level B jobs are technical jobs that will require a college diploma:

  • Accountant
  • Civil Engineer
  • Dental Hygienist
  • Etc.

Also taken into consideration on your application will be your age and French or English language ability.

Canadian Experience Class

Like the other Canadian immigration programs, you’ll receive points under different categories in order to increase your chances of receiving an ITA. It’s designed for skilled workers who have one year of work experience in Canada within three years of completing an application. Again, qualifying jobs are broken down into skill level types and while there are no minimum Canadian education requirements, you’ll receive a higher score and, therefore, a better chance of boosting your ranking in the Express Entry pool.

Provincial Nominee Programs

This is one of the fastest immigration programs that can help immigrants become permanent residents. Rules and eligibility requirements will vary for each specific province so you’ll need to ensure you read the necessary requirements and submit your application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. Most programs will require you to have ties to the province where you are applying. You’ll also need to let the provincial government know you’re applying to be nominated under the Express Entry system, or show them a complete application, and they’ll send you a notification of interest. This may take longer than other programs.

We Help International Students Achieve Their Goals

An international student can apply for permanent residence. If they have a job offer and fall under a specific skill type and skill level, the chances of becoming a permanent resident are increased.

Understanding the process on your own can be difficult which is why we can help streamline the process for you. If you’re an international student or recent graduate, contact our Oro Immigration team today. We can help you obtain a study permit, work permit, complete your Express Entry profile, and more.

April 22, 2022

Because of recent unfortunate events occurring in Ukraine, On March 17, 2022, there was an announcement made by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) about a launch of a new accelerated temporary residence pathway for Ukrainians called Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET).

This is an especially important and quick solution for Ukrainians and their families needing a safe haven. There are also benefits for present workers, students, and visitors. We’ll go over everything you need to know below in order to make your journey more seamless.

Eligibility To Apply Under The CUAET

There are no real eligibility requirements. Applicants who do not have a valid passport can still apply. You’ll also be exempt from providing COVID-19 vaccination proof but must still meet other health requirements, particularly COVID testing and quarantining.

Ukrainians and their immediate family members (of any nationality – not just limited to being Ukrainian) can temporarily stay in Canada for up to three years. Overseas applicants will need to apply online for a Canadian visitor visa and also need to provide their fingerprints and photo I.D.

If you’re a Ukrainian student, worker, or visitor already in Canada, you can still benefit from the program as well. You can apply to extend your visitor status, work or study permit by three more years. The IRCC is waiving all application fees and processing fees to ease the burden on Ukrainian nationals.

Apply For A Work Permit

Ukrainians seeking work are also encouraged to apply for a work permit at the same time as their visa application which will allow them to work for a Canadian employer while they are here. Again, any work permit fees are currently being waived. In most cases, you’d need a job offer by a Canadian employer, however, the Government of Canada has created a jobs page to support Ukrainians seeking work and for local organizations and employers to connect with Ukrainian workers.

Using ArriveCAN To Upload Documents

This is a new, official Government of Canada software that allows incoming travellers to Canada to submit the necessary information required amidst the COVID-19 pandemic. The mobile app is free for iPhones or Androids, or you can submit your information via the web. Information needs to be submitted 72 hours before your arrival. While Ukrainian nationals do not need to submit proof of vaccination, you will need to submit the following:

  • A quarantine plan
    • Accommodations while you quarantine for 14 days, along with the address
    • If you’ll have access to basic necessities (i.e. water, food, medication, etc.)
    • If the people travelling with you are at higher risk from COVID-19 (i.e. compromised immune systems, 65 years of age or older unvaccinated, etc.)
    • If you’ll be living with a family member you didn’t travel with
  • Contact information and travel details
    • Necessary contact information for you and any travellers with you
    • Reason you’re travelling
    • Date and time of arrival
    • Flight number, airline, and airport welcoming you to Canadian soil

Once you fill out the necessary information, you’ll be emailed a receipt which you’ll show to a border officer. They will be aware of public health exemptions for any Ukrainian national arriving in Canada.

Special Family Reunification Sponsorship Pathway

Full details have yet to be released for this temporary residence pathway for Ukrainians, but it aims to reunite Ukrainians with their extended and immediate family members in Canada through a new sponsorship program. It will act as a pathway for Ukrainians seeking permanent residence. Details are still being discussed and processed between the Canadian government and the Ukrainian Canadian Congress.

Are You An Employer Wanting To Support Ukrainian Nationals?

If you’re an employer who is devastated by the invasion of Ukraine and you want to support Ukrainians seeking safe haven and work to support their family members, Job Bank has set up a simple process. All you need to do is create an employer file on Job Bank, create a job posting and save it as a draft, and then submit this form to Job Bank and let them know it’s for Ukrainian nationals. They’ll get back to you shortly with more information.

The New Temporary Residence Pathway Aims To Help Keep Ukrainians & Their Family Members Safe

Canada’s response to the invasion of Ukraine has included developing a new temporary residence pathway in order for Ukrainian nationals to remain safe. It also provides them with a way to apply for a temporary work or study permit to continue to support their families or receive an education. Children and high school students can enter Canada’s school system as soon as they arrive. Valid passports are not required, nor do you have to have proof of full vaccination. If you have an existing permit or visa, you can extend it. If you’re looking to become one of Canada’s permanent residents, announcements are yet to be made about the new Special Family Reunification Sponsorship Pathway, but stay tuned for more information.

April 19, 2022

Again, all Provincial Nominee Programs vary, but there are similar guidelines that you can expect:

Job Offers

If your employer offers you a full-time position (it cannot be part-time or freelance work) and they’re located in the Canadian province in which you’re applying for permanent residency, you could be eligible to apply for a Provincial Nomination Certificate. Typically, job offer streams do not require you to enter via the Express Entry pool.

Business Streams

Under one of the business streams of the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program is the Ontario Entrepreneur stream which specifically targets experienced business owners or senior business managers. You must buy an existing business or start a new one and participate in day-to-day management duties. After operating the business for 18 months, you may be nominated for permanent residency. You’ll need to meet a certain language benchmark, work experience, and investment requirements. You’ll also have to ensure your business type is not ineligible as well.


International graduates who have experience studying in the province are some of the most popular immigration candidates. Your work experience, language ability and education can provide you with exceptional Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points, however, if you’ve graduated from a post-secondary institution and are in an Express Entry pool, your education alone can land you 30 additional points.

Experience In Demanding Occupation

If you have experience in a specific occupation that is in demand in your province or territory, you may be eligible to receive a Provincial Nominee Certificate, especially to respond to labour market shortages. These lists will change regularly.

You’ll Receive An Invitation To Apply (ITA)

After your profile or paper application is assessed along with the CRS, you’ll receive an ITA from the Canadian government to apply for Canadian permanent residence. Ultimately, the higher your score, the more likely you are to receive one. If you’re applying through the Express Entry stream, just remember that the government will hold random draws throughout the year. Generally, they’re held every two weeks, but there is no set schedule.

Contact Us With Any Questions You May Have

At Oro Immigration Services, we can help Express Entry candidates and paper-based applicants complete their profiles and answer any questions they may have about the Provincial Nominee Program. There are also other ways to apply for permanent residence which we can help you with today no matter where you’re immigrating from. Contact our immigration consultants today!

March 4, 2022

Do You Need An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)?

While an eTA doesn’t necessarily guarantee your entry to Canada, it is a requirement for foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries arriving by flight. Therefore, if you answer “yes” to both questions below, you need to apply for an eTA:

  1. Are you from a visa-exempt country?
  2. Are you traveling to Canada or through Canada by air?

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement and is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. So, if you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

How Entering Canada Works With An eTA

At the airport, an immigration officer will ask to see your passport and other documents and you must convince the officer that you are eligible for entry into Canada. If you are a foreign national arriving by bus, train, car or boat, you will not need an eTA.

Visa-Exempt Foreign Nationals Will Need To Apply Online

Not sure if you’re from a visa-exempt country? Before you board your flight to Canada, you will need to have your eTA. Here is a list of some visa-exempt countries:

  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Chile
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
  • Japan
  • Mexico
  • New Zealand
  • Poland
  • Spain
  • Switzerland

You can find the complete list on the Government of Canada website.

If you are from a visa-required country listed below, you’ll need it regardless of how to travel to Canada (car, plane, train, bus, ship):

  • Afghanistan
  • Argentina
  • Bangladesh
  • Botswana
  • Cambodia
  • China
  • Costa Rica
  • Ecuador
  • India
  • Iraq
  • Jamaica
  • Colombia
  • Pakistan
  • Turkey

You can find the complete list on the Government of Canada website.

The eTA Application Process Is Simple

Obtaining an eTA is actually quite easy! You’ll apply on the Government of Canada website and it should only take a few minutes to complete. Afterwhich, your eTA will be emailed to you shortly after, however, don’t wait until the last minute to apply, especially if you’re submitting supporting documents. In this case, it may take several days to receive your eTA.

To complete the application, you’ll need your passport (make sure you put in the correct number), an email address, and a debit or credit card. And don’t fret – the application fee is not expensive. It will set you back $7.

Do International Students Need an eTA?

Foreign nationals with status as workers and students, if they need to travel and enter Canada again, yes, along with your work or study permit, you will also need to fill out an online application for an eTA or a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) depending on your country of citizenship before entering Canada. If you need help determining which one you need to apply for, this is exactly where our Oro Immigration team can come in. We’re an immigration office based in Toronto, Ontario that helps immigrants from all over the world reach their goals. Whether you’re a student, visitor or worker, we’re here for you.Other Services

As well as assisting travelers with understanding the eTA process, we also offer a wide range of immigration services including assistance with your Express Entry profile, applying for permanent residency, studying in Canada, working in Canada, and more. Our main goal as immigration consultants is to ease our clients’ minds by helping them organize, understand and submit their paperwork or online applications in an efficient and friendly manner.

Contact Our Immigration Consultants In Toronto Today

Contact us for any of your immigration needs and to verify if you need an eTA or a visitor visa to enter Canada. Foreign international students, workers and travelers don’t need to feel confused with. We provide stress-free services and treat everyone with respect.

March 3, 2022

Are you a foreign national who is preparing to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada and are wondering how long you’ll have to wait for approval?
The Canada eTA processing time is fairly quick, however, in some cases, it may take longer to process if you have to submit additional documents. This is why you should never wait until the last minute to fill out an eTA application. You should complete it before you board your flight to Canada.

In this article, we’ll outline everything you need to know about what an eTA is, how to apply for an eTA, and how long it will take to get approved.

Why Is An Electronic Travel Authorization Needed?

If you’re a foreign national from a visa-exempt country and plan to visit Canada via air, you’ll need an eTA and show immigration officers that you’ve received approval. This is easily completed online. However, if you are arriving via car, boat or train, you will not need an eTA.

An eTA will not be an entry requirement if you:

  • Have a valid visa to enter Canada
  • Are part of the Armed Forces visiting Canada on official duty
  • Are part of the flight crew/airline staff
  • Have dual citizenship with a valid Canadian passport
  • Are a permanent resident that has your PR card or other entry documents
  • Are a U.S. citizen
  • Just note that if you are a permanent resident or a green card holder in the U.S., you will require an eTA.

Does An eTA Expire?

Your eTA will be valid for up to five years or until your valid passport expires, whichever comes first. So, if you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

What Are Visa-Exempt & Visa-Required Countries?

For a full list of visa-exempt and visa-required countries on the Government of Canada website. Here are a select few as an example.


Remember: Foreign nationals arriving by air to travel to Canada must apply for an eTA. If you are arriving by car, boat or train, you will not be required to have one.

  • Australia
  • Bahamas
  • Chile
  • Croatia
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • Germany
  • Iceland
  • Ireland
  • Japan
  • Mexico
  • New Zealand
  • Portugal
  • Singapore
  • Spain
  • Switzerland


Remember: If you’re arriving by air, car, boat or train to travel to Canada from a visa-required country must apply for an eTA.

  • Afghanistan
  • Algeria
  • Bangladesh
  • Cambodia
  • China
  • Dominican Republic
  • Egypt
  • Haiti
  • India
  • Iraq
  • Jamaica
  • Kenya
  • North Korea
  • Pakistan
  • Russia
  • Syria

How Long Does It Take For An eTA Application To Be Approved?

Filling out a Canada eTA application is actually quite simple and does not take long to complete. In most cases, once complete, you may receive an email right away from the Government of Canada. However, processing times will vary depending on if you’re submitting supporting documents. In this case, it may take several days to receive an approval email.

To ensure the application process is as smooth as possible, have the following handy as soon as you apply:

  • Your passport (and ensure you’re inserting the correct passport number and passport details to avoid any hassles at the airport)
  • Your visa/debit card
  • A valid email address

You won’t need to print out the approval email. Your approved eTA will be electronically linked to your associated passport automatically.

Filling out an online application form also won’t set you back a lot of money. It will only cost you $7 to process it. Again, it will be valid for five years, therefore, you can travel to and leave Canada as many times as you want within that time frame (except for if your passport expires – then you’ll need to reapply for a new eTA).

Do You Need An eTA As A Student or Worker?

Just having a work or study permit is not enough as those aren’t visas. You will also need to fill out an eTA application form or have a visitor visa, as well as a permit before traveling to Canada. Your eTA or visa will be emailed to you at the same time you apply for your study or work permit, therefore, you will not need to reapply or repay any additional fees.

We understand that this process can seem confusing, especially if you’re new to traveling to and from Canada. That’s why our Oro Immigration team that’s based in Toronto, Ontario is here to help you. No matter where you’re located in the world, we’ll ensure your traveling or Canadian immigration goals come true.

Contact Us If You Need Help

If you require a more thorough explanation of how eTAs work in Canada as a traveler, worker or student, contact our Oro Immigration team today. We’ll ensure you fully understand how to fill out an eTA form, and more.

January 24, 2022

Becoming a permanent Canadian citizen can, indeed, be both a confusing and difficult process, especially if you have a friend or family member that you want to help but don’t quite know how to. This is why you’ve probably asked yourself, or even Googled the question, “can I, as a permanent resident, sponsor my friend to Canada, or can it only be a family member?”

This is a very common question that we are going to answer below, as well as go over the requirements one must meet to sponsor someone to Canada.

Can I Sponsor My Friend To Come To Canada?

Unfortunately, there currently is no sponsorship program available for friends. An eligible Canadian citizen or permanent resident can sponsor certain relatives who will then become Canadian permanent residents under the family class category. A friend does not fall under the family category.

Eligible Family Members Who Can Be A Sponsor

If you have family members dreaming of permanent residency, you can help make their dreams come true, but you must be an eligible family member yourself. This includes:

  • Being a permanent resident of Canada, or a Canadian citizen
  • Being 18 years of age or older
  • Being financially stable and self-sufficient (meaning you must not be receiving social assistance)
  • Being able to provide for your family/applicant (i.e. food, clothes, housing, etc.)

You must also be considered a:

  • Common-law partner
  • A spouse
  • Conjugal partner (a committed relationship for at least one year where you are unable to live together for various reasons out of their control)

Certain Family Members Who Are Not Eligible To Sponsor

The above are considered eligible under the family class category. Those not eligible include:

  • A brother or sister
  • A friend
  • If you were sponsored by a partner and became a permanent resident yourself less than five years ago
  • If three years have not passed since you’ve sponsored a previous spouse or partner
  • You have declared bankruptcy
  • You are not in jail
  • You have not been convicted of a violent or sexual offence
  • You failed to provide the basic needs for a previously sponsored family member
  • You have failed to pay an immigration loan, performance bond or family support

Who Can I Sponsor To Canada?

The family sponsorship process can be for anyone that is over 18 years of age and is your spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, dependent children, parents or grandparents.

Dependent children can be sponsored to live with their parents. They must be under the age of 22 and be the biological or adopted child of a permanent resident of Canada or Canadian citizen. But again, you must be able to prove that you can provide for their basic needs. When it comes to bringing your parents or grandparents to Canada, this doesn’t actually fall under the family class sponsorship category but rather the super visa category. You need to be able to prove you can provide them with financial support. This type of immigration process can actually take a long time, therefore, typically people apply for their parents or grandparents to have a visitor visa while they wait for their sponsorship application to be accepted. Because this process can take a long time, people look into other options such as the express entry programs.

Applying For Family Sponsorship With Oro Immigration

Becoming permanent residents of Canada is a dream for many, but actually understanding all of the steps involved with the process can be confusing. That’s why our team of consultants here at Oro Immigration in Toronto, Ontario, help immigrants from all over the world obtain Canadian permanent residence. Canadian immigration processes will be much easier to understand and navigate through with the help of a professional. We will be there for you every step of the way. From helping you gather the required documents and filling out the application to helping you understand the government fees (and other applicable fees associated with the sponsorship agreement) and seeing your application to completion.

While we can’t help you sponsor a friend to Canada, we can certainly help your family come to Canada. If you’re ready to learn more about Canadian immigration, give us a call or email us. We look forward to helping you sponsor relatives or answer any of your immigration questions.

October 26, 2021

The wait is over and the time has finally come! Entry to Canada is now permittable and land border crossings have resumed. We’re finally starting to see some “back to normal” activity since COVID-19 shut everything down, however, there are entry requirements that the Government of Canada has put into place. We’ll go over the requirements below on how to enter Canada, and what the Canadian government is doing about fully vaccinated travellers, COVID-19 testing and quarantine requirements.

You Must Be Fully Vaccinated To Enter Canada

The Canada Border Services Agency is (CBSA) is dedicated to the safety of Canadian citizens and those entering Canada, therefore, as the Government of Canada states, you must provide full proof of vaccination if you are 12 years of age or older for:

  • Entering Canada as a tourist
  • Flying on domestic or international flights departing from Canadian airports
  • Land border crossing
  • Boarding VIA Rail and Rocky Mountaineer trains
  • Boarding cruise ships departing from Canadian ports

You should have received your second dose at least 14 days prior to the day you’ve begun travelling. But remember, if you are a Canadian citizen who is fully vaccinated and can provide proof of your vaccination status via the new barcode system, this may not guarantee your entry into other countries. You should always check the country’s website before booking a scheduled flight in the first place. Not all countries have the same plans in place.

Vaccines accepted include:

  • Pfizer-BioNTech
  • Moderna
  • AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD
  • Janssen/Johnson & Johnson

Vaccines from other countries that have not yet been authorized in Canada are currently under review by the World Health Organization. If you are vaccinated but have not received any of the authorized vaccines you will not be able to enter the country as a tourist.

Only individuals who qualify under the “uniting with family exemption or travelling for a non-discretionary purpose” will be allowed to travel to Canada even if they have not been vaccinated or they have received a vaccine that is not yet authorized by Canada.

If you are fully vaccinated, you will be exempt from the mandatory 14-day quarantine plan, and day-8 testing. You may, however, be randomly selected to undergo an arrival test at the border or an airport.

You will be exempt from the quarantine act if you are fully vaccinated and have negative COVID-19 test results.

A Pre-Entry Molecular Test Is Still Mandatory

Even if you are fully vaccinated, you must undergo a pre-entry molecular test. All travellers who are five years of age or older must (regardless if they are a fully vaccinated foreign traveller or fully vaccinated Canadian citizen) provide proof of their negative pre-entry test or proof of a positive test result from the last 14-180 days. You will not be charged for this test. You should receive your test results in 48 hours via text or email. If you test positive, you must continue a 14-day suitable quarantine plan.

For Fully Vaccinated Foreign Nationals Wanting To Enter Canada

Foreign nationals may still be eligible to enter Canada but are encouraged to answer a few questions on the Government of Canada website to see if they meet the requirements under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. Unvaccinated travellers entering Canada must have a medical reason for exemption from the COVID-19 vaccine. You must also comply with the local public health measures provided to you in a handout by a border officer.

Unvaccinated Travellers Arriving To Canada

If you are unvaccinated, you can still come to Canada if you are coming to study, work or reunite with a family member. You will need to comply with all testing requirements and you will be subjected to a mandatory 14-day quarantine period while completing daily COVID-19 self-assessments. You’ll need to stay at a government-authorized hotel (and confirm your arrival) or at the address you provided and arrive within 48 hours. An agent will keep in contact with you via emails, calls, or in-person visits (socially distanced, of course).

If you start experiencing symptoms, you should immediately contact the local public authority, explain your symptoms, and continue to self-isolate.

Use ArriveCAN To Enter Canada

All travellers that are entering Canada by air, land train or ship must use ArriveCAN to submit information within 72 hours before arriving. This is is a free app that is available for iOS and Android where you can submit the following information:

  • Your contact information and those travelling with you
  • Why you’re travelling
  • Exempt essential travel, i.e. work, medical care support, etc.
  • Regular travel, i.e. permanent resident, foreign work or study, etc.
  • None of the above
  • Your date and time of arrival
  • Flight number, airline and airport
  • Pre-entry COVID-19 test result
  • Where you were 14 days prior to Canada (minus connection flights)
  • Quarantine plans and address
  • And more

Again, using ArriveCAN is mandatory for all travellers, regardless of their reason for travelling or vaccination status. Not filling out the mandatory fields can result in being denied entry if it is not filled out within 72 hours of your arrival. It’s very easy to use and only takes a few minutes to submit your information!

You must use ArriveCAN to enter Canada for essential and non-essential travel.

Looking To Become A Permanent Resident?

Immigrating to Canada during the COVID-19 pandemic has been difficult but as restrictions have eased and rules became more clear, it is still very much possible. Whether you’re a refugee or are a foreign worker or student looking to become a permanent resident, allow our immigration consultants here at Oro Immigration to assist you. We’ll help you through every step of the process, especially when it comes to the current rules and regulations and filling out confusing applications! Contact us today and let’s discuss how we can assist you.

October 26, 2021

Immigrating to Canada can be a confusing process in general, but there is especially a lot of confusion that surrounds the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) regarding immigration, so we want to clear it up for you.

The Canadian Experience Class program is another program under the Express Entry system that many are eligible for without even realizing it. The name kind of explains the Canadian Experience Class requirements itself; it’s designed for skilled workers who have one year of work experience in Canada, but that one year should have taken place within the last three years before you apply.

Minimum Job Requirements For The Canadian Experience Class – Express Entry Program

Before filling out a permanent residence application, you’ll have to prove that you have at least one year of skilled work experience within the last three years under a temporary resident status. This can be broken down in a few different ways as laid out by the Government of Canada:

  • You’ve worked one full-time job that totals 30 hours per week for 12 months.
  • You’ve worked more than one full-time job that has totalled 30 hours per week for 12 months.
  • You’ve worked two part-time jobs that still total 30 hours. That time doesn’t have to be split up evenly (15 hours per job). You can actually have as many part-time jobs as you want, but your total hours must still be 30 for 12 months.


Any hours you work beyond 30 hours per week are not counted. Unpaid internships, volunteer work, or self-employment will also not count as Canadian work experience. You must have paid wages or earned commissions.

Jobs That Qualify

The Government of Canada will use the National Occupational Classification (NOC) system to classify “skilled” jobs into main groups: type 0, A or B. You’ll need these types of Canadian work experience in order to be eligible to become a permanent resident through an Express Entry program. If your job type falls under skill level C or D, you may still be eligible to come to Canada as a provincial nominee.

Type 0

  • Management jobs (i.e. customer service manager, restaurant manager, construction manager, health care manager, manufacturing manager, etc.)

Type A

  • Professional jobs that require a university degree (i.e. doctor, dentist, pharmacist, vet, financial consultant/advisor, marketer, etc.)

Type B

  • Technical jobs that usually require a college diploma (i.e., dental hygienist, practical nurse, technician, plumber, vet tech, supervisor, inspector, etc.)
  • Minimum requirements for the Canadian Experience Class include working at a type 0, A or B job for at least a year.

Minimum Language Ability For The Canadian Experience Class – Express Entry Program

As well as working in skilled trades, there are other eligibility criteria you must meet, one of which will be your language skills. This is determined through language tests for either English or French for listening, speaking, reading and writing. The results will be categorized appropriately via the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLBs). In order to continue with your Canadian permanent residence application, you’ll need to reach a minimum of CLB 7 in English (or NCLB 7 in French). Your results shouldn’t be more than two years old but remember that your Express Entry profile is only valid for one year (12 months).

Is There An Education Requirement For The Canadian Experience Class?

CEC doesn’t actually have any education requirements, however, you can boost yourself in the Express Entry pool by receiving a certificate, diploma or degree from a Canadian secondary or post-secondary school. If you’ve received a foreign education, you can request an educational credential assessment (ECA) to verify your credentials which you’ll also need to provide during the application process.

Other Express Entry Programs

The Canadian Experience Class was created for skilled temporary foreign workers and international students who can use their skilled work experience and education to apply for permanent resident status. But if you don’t fall under this category and want to apply through the Express Entry program, that’s okay. There are two other programs you may be eligible through:

Federal Skilled Worker Program

This program is designed for skilled workers but with foreign experience who want to apply for permanent residence here in Canada. There are various factors that will affect your application such as age, education, work experience, language skills, if you have a job offer, and how likely you are to settle into Canada. You are given points for how well you do with each factor. In order to pass, you must have a minimum of 67 points. Ultimately, the higher the points you’ve earned, the better chance you have at receiving an invitation to apply (ITA) which you can then apply for permanent residence.

Federal Skilled Trade Program

This program is designed for people who hold skilled trades and want to become permanent residents. Because it’s difficult to obtain a provincial certification outside of Canada, this program is offered to those who have an approved job offer, or who are already working with a Canadian work permit in a skilled trade occupation. If you’ve obtained an approved job offer for one year or more from a Canadian employer, you are also eligible to apply. You must also meet the minimum CLB requirements, have at least two years of full-time skilled work experience within the last five years of submitting your application, and have a valid job offer.

Do You Need Work Reference Letters?

If you receive an ITA to apply for Express Entry into Canada, yes, you will need to have work reference letters along with your application. You can actually submit multiple from previous employers and your current one. It’s recommended that employers print any letters on official company letterhead with contact information included. An immigration officer will also need to know of all of your previous workplaces, job titles/roles, salaries, your duties, the dates you held the positions, etc.

Minimum requirements for the Canadian Experience Class include working at a type 0, A or B job for at least a year.

Canadian Immigration Processes Can Be Confusing

Applying through any immigration program can be downright confusing. That’s why Oro Immigration is here: to simplify the process for you, answer any of your questions regarding immigration matters, and help you reach your immigration goals. We’ll help you obtain all of the information that you need for a successful application, especially when it comes to the online application system for Express Entry into Canada. You can count on us to get you to where you want to be. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you as soon as possible.

September 27, 2021
September 27, 2021

Being together with your family in the same country can help you feel much more at home. If you have a family member, spouse, conjugal partner, or dependent child that is not a permanent resident in Canada but would like to be, there are ways that you can sponsor someone and bring them into Canada with a permanent resident status.

Read More