Permanent Resident Card Renewal

You can renew your Permanent Resident Card if you were landed but did not receive your permanent resident card within 180 days, if you already had a permanent resident card but it has expired or if you had a permanent resident card, but it was lost.

To renew your permanent resident card, you must provide proof of Permanent Residency and be in Canada at the time of submitting your application. You must have been in Canada for at least 730 days during the past five years before submitting your application. Please note that the 730 days can be distributed throughout the five years; the 730 days do not need to be continuous.

Please note that:

  • If you were not in Canada but you were accompanying a Canadian citizen outside Canada who was your parent, spouse, or common-law partner;
  • If you were working for a Canadian business;
  • If you were accompanying a permanent resident outside Canada;

You might use these days towards the residency obligation calculation.

You must complete an application and provide the necessary documentation to prove that you meet the requirements and eligible to apply for permanent residency. If the Officer finds that you have met the requirements, you will be granted a new Permanent Resident Card. Remember: all documents must be in English or French.

To calculate your residency obligation, you must gather all your travels outside of Canada. You should provide the exact entry and exit day.

If you are planning to travel outside of Canada, your Permanent Resident Card must be valid at the time of your departure and your arrival back in Canada. If your Permanent Resident Card has expired while you are abroad, you must apply for a permanent resident travel document to return to Canada.

In some cases, if you are travelling to the United States of America and returning to Canada by car (not a commercial vehicle such as bus, boat or plane), you may enter using your Record of Landing/Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

To avoid having an expired Permanent Resident Card, you should submit your application at least six (6) months before your Permanent Resident Card’s expiration.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada can expedite the processing of your Permanent Resident Card if you must travel within three (3) months. They will only make an exception if your travels is related to a family member’s death, serious illness(your own or a family member), job opportunity, or a task with your current job. You must provide all documentation mentioned above and documentation to substantiate the urgent processing of a Permanent Resident Card. Even if you provide all required documentation, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada does not guarantee that they can process the application on time. Therefore, we recommend that you always keep your Permanent Resident Card up to date. Permanent Resident Cards are often issued for five years, but on some occasions, they will only be valid for a year.

Contact us now to get your Permanent Resident Card.