Canada Visitor Visa

Canada Visitor Visa

Visit Canada & See Family Members & Friends With A Canadian Visitor Visa

A Visitor Visa is an official document issued by the Government of Canada added to the passport to show that you meet Canada’s requirements. Although most travellers need a visitor visa to travel to Canada, you may or may not need one depending on your citizenship. You may also need a visitor visa if you are travelling to another country but transiting through Canada.

People who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada are legally required to obtain a visitor visa to enter Canada. Visitors will need a visitors visa to:

  • Enter Canada for a holiday/vacation
  • Visit friends and family who are Canadian citizens
  • Conduct business
  • Transit through Canada

Electronic Travel Authorizations (eTA)

Some people may not need to apply for a tourist visa as they only need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) instead. An eTA is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals. It is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for up to five years or when your passport expires, whichever comes first. It is important to remember that an eTA does not guarantee that you will be able to enter the country. This is dependent on border services’ decisions at the port of entry.

To determine whether you need a visa to enter Canada or could use an Electronic Travel Authorization, visit the Government of Canada’s website.

Restrictions & Regulations For Visitors

Just like any other visa, a visitor visa has restrictions and regulations that must be followed whether you are entering or on transit through Canada. These regulations are important to ensure that your application remains in good standing and have no issues in the future.

Smiling internation student in winter hat and jacket holding Canadian flag

Conducting Business

Although entry visas do allow “business,” visitors are not allowed to work during their stay. The Canadian government allows individuals with visitors status to:

  • Buy Canadian goods/services for a foreign business or government
  • Take goods or services orders
  • Attend meetings, conferences, conventions or trade fairs in Canada
  • Be trained by a Canadian parent company that you work for outside Canada
  • Train employees for a Canadian branch of a foreign company
  • Be trained by a Canadian company that has sold you goods/services
  • Provide after-sales service as part of a warranty or sales agreement

Children Travelling Alone Or With A Family Member

Children under the age of 18 must complete a visitor visa application like any other traveller. There are no exemptions from this process. There is also more documentation required for children travelling alone or with a single family member to ensure the child’s safety and ensure no human rights violations are occurring. Remember the child must have a travel consent if he is travelling alone or with a family member.

How To Apply for Canadian Visitor Visas

Applicants can apply for a visa using paper or electronic applications. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will review each application carefully before determining whether they will grant a visitor visa to the applicant. To ensure that you have a successful application, gather the required documents beforehand.

Requirements to obtain a visitor visa, Canada:

  • Have a valid passport
  • Complete all forms provided by Immigration and Citizenship Canada and pay the associated fees
  • Documents to convince the immigration officer that you have ties to your country of origin and that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay
  • Have sufficient funds for your stay
  • In some cases, it is recommended to have a letter of invitation

Get Help With Your Application

Apply for a visitor visa today with the help of Oro Immigration Services! Our skilled Immigration Consultants have years of experience helping people apply for visitor visas.

A visa application can be difficult for anyone due to the sheer amount of paperwork and required information. If there is an issue in the application, it could delay your process. Come to us before there is a problem, our team will help you complete your visa application and provide you with any additional information you may need before your trip to Canada. Each person who comes to us can trust that we will provide exceptional service.

Frequently Asked Questions

The processing times of sponsorship applications can vary greatly depending on your case, but most individuals can expect the process to take at least one year. This is not including the time required to fill out the documents that you need to submit. The prolonged processing times are related to the documents that need to be reviewed, and the detailed information that needs to be confirmed from both Canadian parties and those outside of Canada. This can cause many applications to remain in the pending status for many months or your application can be returned as incomplete.

Unlike other programs, spousal sponsorships do not have a minimum income requirement, unless the person you are sponsoring has a dependent child.

When you sponsor your spouse, partner, and their dependent, you sign and submit an undertaking. This is a legally binding document that holds the principal applicant responsible for the financial support of their sponsors. The time of the undertaking differs for each individual when they come to Canada. View the table below to determine the length of your undertaking.

  • Spouse, common-law, or conjugal partner: 3 years from the day they receive permanent resident status
  • A child/dependent over 22 years of age: 3 years from the day they receive permanent residence status
  • A child/dependent under 22 years of age: 10 years from the day they become a permanent residence status or until they turn 22 years of age, whichever comes first

Your undertaking will not be cancelled if:

  • You divorce/separate
  • You have financial problems
  • You move to a different country or province
  • Your sponsee becomes a Canadian citizen

We recommend that your spouse/partner does not leave the country while their application is processed. There is no guarantee that they will be allowed to re-enter the country, especially if they need a visitor visa. Please wait to leave Canada after the application has finished processing.