Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)

Foreign nationals in Canada awaiting a decision on their permanent residency application and already have a valid work permit can apply for a bridging open work permit. This work permit will allow foreign nationals to continue working until they receive a decision on their permanent residency application.

To qualify for this program, you must have a valid work permit for at least four (4) months, be the permanent applicant of the permanent residency application, proof of permanent residency application, and in some cases, you must need the application to be approved in principle.

Work permit holders currently in Canada may be considered for a work permit to bridge the gap between the expiry of their current work permit and the final decision on their application for permanent residence (APR). They must have applied to permanent residence APR under one of the following classes:

  • Federal skilled worker class (FSWC)
  • Canadian experience class (CEC)
  • federal skilled trades class (FSTC)
  • caring for children class or caring for people with high medical needs class (if the APR has been submitted before June 18, 2019)
  • provincial nominee class (PNC), for applicants for whom there are no employer restrictions on nominations
  • Agri-Food Pilot (AFP)