Working while studying

As an international student in Canada, you may be eligible to work off campus in Canada while studying. You must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a full-time student at a designated learning institution (DLI)
  • Being enrolled in a post-secondary program that is at least six (6)months long and leads to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If you’re a part-time student, you can work off campus, but only if you meet all of the requirements mentioned above and the reason for your part-time studies is that you’re in the last semester of your study program, and you are not required to have a full course load to complete your studies. However, you were a full-time student up until the last semester of your program in Canada.

During regular school terms/semesters, you can work off campus, up to 20 hours per week. However, during scheduled breaks in the school year, you can work full-time.

Working on-campus

As an international student, you can work on-campus if you:

  • Are a full-time post-secondary student at a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university. You may also work on campus if you are studying in a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law;
  • Have a valid study permit;
  • Have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

Working “on-campus” means you can work at all the buildings on your school campus. In most cases, if your school has more than one campus, you may only work at the campus you study.

Co-op student or intern

A work permit is required to work as a co-op student or intern.

Work after you graduate

You may be eligible to apply for a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) to continue working in Canada after graduating. This work experience will increase your chance of applying for Permanent Residency.

At Oro Immigration Services, we can help you find the right program to work while studying and after.

Contact us to receive more information.